Hi Everyone,
I found this artcile from Newsweek that talks about journalism and the relationship between the different mediums. I'd like to share it with everyone :
"Beyond the bottom line, Wall Street dosen't much care about editorial quality: journalists do and others should. Not because journalism is perfect, but because it isn't.
News magazines come at the end of the food chain of journalism. First radio reports the news hourly, then the evening television news repeats it and adds pictures. Newspapers fill out the story in greater detail. Finally the news magazine comes along to summarize and analyze it. By that time the reader may be suffereing an acute case of information glut. It takes wit, reflection, a gift of compression, some fresh reporting or consulatation with experts, and an original turn of mind to add something new. The real job of the news magazine is to help the reader to make sense out of his times. Those who can do this, the best of them, form a shaggy group of contentious minds."
Thomas, Griffith. "What's So Special About News Magazines?" Newsweek.
I think this article was written a few years ago, so Griffith did not refer to on-line news. Now, the situtation might make us suffer from even more of an "information glut."
Any comments?
Bruce
Thursday, December 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Bruce,
first off, the Newsweek article is trying to "justify" its existence. That's what I get from reading this excerpt.
On your question, yes, there's so much information out there, with online coming in and flooding us with more info. But I think there are now more ways (some using tech) to wade through oceans of news and data. At the same time, today's next gen are used to this much info...so I think human beings will find way around this problem soon, or perhaps they've already done it, we just don't know it yet.
Hi Bruce,
Interesting analogy. I enjoy news magazines, especially on long travels and plenty of time to kill. I do not find them redundant in that sense. Like the many mediums that present news, it simply complements the very process of delivering information. Whether we take it bite size or encyclopedia format, it is up to the audience to digest or embrace the different platforms.
Post a Comment